Joseph Mayer (1754-1828) from Waldau near Neustadt deals with clocks in
the city of Copenhagen and also does repair work. He is a close relative
of the very famous clockmakers Mathäus Hummel, the so-called “Jägerstieger”,
Joseph Ganter, and Benedikt Faller.
1900 Six to eight clockmakers and assistants
work in Mayer’s clockmaking workshop managed by German’s second oldest son
Joseph Mayer (1853-1903). He started to design new types of clocks and also
manufactured music boxes.
His grandson German Mayer (1815-1896), a clockmaker by profession
like his four brothers, establishes the German Mayer Companie in Reading/England,
making himself the head of this association of clock dealers.
1841 On December 14, German’s father
Andreas Mayer (1787-1864) sends a delivery of clocks and clock parts
to Reading. The invoice in the amount of 937 gulden and 5 kreuzer
is the first written document of Mayer’s clockmaking tradition which
is why the year 1841 is considered the year of foundation.
1957 The A.Mayer OHG managed by the sons
Heinrich (born in 1927) and Konrad (born in 1930) moves into a new, two-store
manufacturing building in Schönenbach which is significantly enlarged in
1965. While in 1959 the production was about 11,000 clocks per year, it
increased to 45,000 in 1972. At that time, the company had 40 employees.
Alois Mayer (1885-1962), Joseph’s oldest son, establishes a high-pressure
water supply to drive the lathes and other equipment – a significant
step towards series production. Until World War I, the company almost
exclusively manufactures so-called “twin alarms” for the English market.
1922 The company is entered in the
commercial register under the name of “Alois Mayer, Uhrenfabrik Schönenback”.
In 1954, it puts on the market the “music clock with four dancing
figures”, designed by Heinrich Mayer, as the first clockmaking company
in the Black Forest.
in Schönenbach. Vorne Alois Mayer
1981 Foundation of the AMS-Uhrenfabrik A.Mayer
GmbH, with Adalbert Mayer (born in 1960) joining the partnership. In January
1993, A.Mayer becomes the Managing Director and, together with his father
Heinrich, manages the company in its sixth generation.
2001 New logistic concept with a newly built
warehouse. The new building with 1400 square meter provides highest flexibility,
efficient and quick deliveries to our customers world wide.
Today, the company has 25 staff members and comprises of a production area
of 1,500 square meters for the manufacture of component parts, surface finish